1987 samurai

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
got an email from Certified Machine that they got a shipment of Toyota 3K carbs in and should have all the back orders filled by tomorrow. I will be really interested in how much better the carb swap runs because the choke on this one is wired in place making it a cold blooded bastard.
 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Well the whole family came down with Covid so nothing happened for most of the last 2 weeks, were all doing better now and luckily none of us were too bad.

Back to building, first my son and i spent a day cleaning the "shop" and moving all the Cherokee parts out (stored in the Cherokee), moved the cherry picker, engine stands, and chain saws to another shed. There is just enough room to get the Sammi in and work around it.










as you can see, there's not much room, this building used to be an old carriage house, there's a concrete floor and not much else of anything lol.






removing the stock carb (with the choke wired) and installing a Toyota 3K from Certified Machine



and since I have the extra space right now we are installing a Chevy alternator. I used the LROR kit, not too impressed with them, the kit includes the lower and upper brackets, belt, alternator, and pigtail. the belt doesn't fit, its too short and there's only about .25-.50" of adjustment before the alt fan hits the water pump pulley. so its not done yet.



But I did get the new carb installed.

 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Last night I got the alternator bracket fixed but there's still not much room between the alt fan and the water pump pulley.





The wiring directions I found kept talking about a red/white wire but my wires were different colors and there was actually 3 wires coming from the plug but 1 was cut, so I started stripping tape back and find this lol



I am not sure exactly where this thicker wire goes, it runs into a bundle that then runs inside the cab, when installing a bigger alternator I usually run bigger wires to the battery, I am not sure if I should/could get rid of this wire or if I should just piggyback a bigger wire from alt direct to the battery.



and while tracing that wire I found these behind the battery, so I will fix them before they create bigger issues

 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
We wired up the alternator last night, then the sami wouldn't crank. Took a little bit of troubleshooting and found when I was moving the wiring around I pulled the starter wire off. She has way better throttle response with the new carb and idles smoother, definitely recommend the carb swap.
 

OleCoot

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Good thing you found all the bad wiring now instead of out on a trail someplace... ( my luck, lol )
 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Really didn't even touch the sammi this weekend, took my Son to the pumpkin patch Saturday and did some grocery shopping, Sunday we pulled the window A/C units from the bedrooms, I made bacon jam and jalapeno bacon jam, and smoked a roast.

Today I ordered a Prius electric steering column to adapt into the sammi.
 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Got my auxiliary battery tray roughed out last night





its a little bit of a squeeze but the placement is almost perfect, it will be a really short run to power the prius electric steering.
 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
battery tray is just about done, I need to drill 2 more mounting holes into the fender, and drill the hole(s) for the hold down. I am planning on using one J-hook and a rivnut in the top flange of the fender for securing the hold down, then shoot it with some paint.





 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Still need to pull it back out and paint it and cut the J-hook down but here is the otherwise finished battery tray.



countersunk the bolts





used a rivnut and a 6M bolt for this side



its nothing really special but I threw a beadroll in the hold down, really stiffens it up



Now to start building cables.
 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
finished the dual battery install, painted the tray with bedliner, put a strip of rubber between the battery and the hold down, built new #2 battery cables, installed the VSR battery "isolator". it cranks over WAY faster now





then I was playing with my new spot weld cutter and removed the (not sure what you call it) piece that holds the plastic trim on the side. Not as bad as I was expecting, sometimes there are rust holes behind here.



you can see though that its dented towards the front. I plan to add some rocker protection and remove the current steps.



I kind of bounced around on projects after getting the batteries done, I removed the jack holder from under the hood (again playing with my spot weld cutter) and will be installing the winch controller in that space. I made a bracket to hold the controller and I started working on the winch mount, but no pics of those yet.

 

warrpath4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
the other night I bent up some scrap sheet metal and made a mount for the winch control box inside the engine bay where the stock jack holder was, took a couple nights of shooting it with bedliner and letting it dry. I mounted it last night but obviously the box isn't mounted yet, just sitting there to check out any clearance issues.









Started prepping the frame for the winch mount, I am making bolt on but trying to make it better than the 4 original bolts lol.

sleeved the 4 bolt holes with 1/8" thick tubing



capped the ends





as mentioned before I sleeved the tube crossmember with a piece of 1.5" pipe, I am trying to work out a way to tie into the crossmember to add strength to the winch mount (I have a plan but need to see how it plays out)