Thread: Moab/Rubicon/Other places

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Moab/Rubicon/Other places

How many of you guys have been to some of these well known places and wheeled? Trying to find something that the family would enjoy, as they aren't too interested in the crawling we normally do here. Something that would be more scenic, more trail type, not just 1 or 2 extreme obstacles and possibly more appealing to a wife and kiddo. Would something on 37's or so be adequate for these places to make it worth while?

How about Big Bend I know its not nearly at the level of Moab/Rubicon, but is it a cool place to see and drive?

Liked 128 Times in 118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Big Bend is a very popular destination. Tigger and I plan on going this fall hopefully. I think a pretty much stock or a slightly modified rig would be perfect there.

Mudnmyvayne and some of the Amarillo boys have been to Moab several times and love it.

Bunny and Artie have been all over the Southwest and places.
    I will wheel more, travel more, smoke less, drink less, live more

76 CJ7, 4link F&R, FOA, Full hydro, 350, 700r4, atlas 4.3, 60 /14, 5:13's, 43 SX on Trailreadys

Rockkrawler.org

Liked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    I hauled my junk all the way to Cali to run the Rubicon Trail a few years back. As far as scenic it's a good as it gets. There are places you can stop to swim or have lunch all along the way. Only regret I had is hauling my rig all the way there. We ran it from end to end and took us about 7 hours and that's stopping at every swimming hole along the way. A jeep on 35s or 37 would have been a blast and would have put up more of a challenge.

Glad I did it but it's a LONG way to haul a rig. If I do that again it will be in a jeep that can be driven on the road.

Moab is on my bucket list and hopefully I can make that happen the next year or so.

Zuki
    Built Yota axles
    3 linked front, 1 link rear
    1.6 tire shredder, 5 speed, 6.5 TC
    Raceline wheels / 39" Cheatin tires
    Made in Japan, Built in Texas!!!

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    I go to Reno generally once every 3 years, so that puts me close to the Con, and I am in Vegas generally once every 3 so figured I could tie it to Moab. Been seriously kicking the idea around about a Jeep on 37's, a little overbuilt to keep breakage chances minimal. Something the family could enjoy a little more than my dedicated crawler.

Crawler
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Does your rig have to be legal to go to Big Bend?
    HMB Racing #99, CJ5 Buggy on Spider 9's and reds

Liked 128 Times in 118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tequilajohnson View Post
    Does your rig have to be legal to go to Big Bend?
    https://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm I looked over the website, it did not explicitly say so, but I am pretty sure all vehicles need to be legal.
    I will wheel more, travel more, smoke less, drink less, live more

76 CJ7, 4link F&R, FOA, Full hydro, 350, 700r4, atlas 4.3, 60 /14, 5:13's, 43 SX on Trailreadys

Rockkrawler.org