Thread: Half ton towing???

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Half ton towing???

So I picked up a new travel trailer this past Wednesday. On the way back from purchasing said trailer we had quite a bit of sway. Camper is 30' total length, weight is 5500ish dry and we also noticed the camper was down about 2-2.5" in the nose. So my question to y'all is do you think leveling the trailer and switching to some LT tires would do the trick or is it tine to really start considering a 3/4-1 ton truck?

Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
    Level the trailer first,then check your weight front and rear. If its allot heavier in the rear that will cause sway.

Im going to adjust the hitch height today and readjust the bars accordingly. See what difference that makes if any.

Liked 133 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    does it have the leveling hitch? the two bars and brackets the go beside the ball? 5500 lbs empty weight is a lot for a 1/2 ton especially in panic braking. thats just my opinion :)

congrats on the new RV...

I will wheel more, travel more, smoke less, drink less, live more

76 CJ7, 4link F&R, FOA, Full hydro, 350, 700r4, atlas 4.3, 60 /14, 5:13's, 43 SX on Trailreadys

Rockkrawler.org

Quote Originally Posted by cj7 View Post
    does it have the leveling hitch? the two bars and brackets the go beside the ball? 5500 lbs empty weight is a lot for a 1/2 ton especially in panic braking. thats just my opinion :)

congrats on the new RV...

Thank you sir. The weight doesn't really bother me that much. I use a steel floor 18' car trailer to tow the Cherokee it should weigh more that 5500. The length is what worries me more because it'll catch a lot more wind. I went down last night and made some adjustments to the hitch height. Flipped the drop part to raise it up. With that adjustment its now 3/4" high in the nose and drives a considerable amount better. Still needs some work. I may throw another washer or two to angle the head and get more friction out of the bars. If I do down tonight I'll take some pictures of the setup.

Liked 133 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent460 View Post
    Thank you sir. The weight doesn't really bother me that much. I use a steel floor 18' car trailer to tow the Cherokee it should weigh more that 5500. The length is what worries me more because it'll catch a lot more wind. I went down last night and made some adjustments to the hitch height. Flipped the drop part to raise it up. With that adjustment its now 3/4" high in the nose and drives a considerable amount better. Still needs some work. I may throw another washer or two to angle the head and get more friction out of the bars. If I do down tonight I'll take some pictures of the setup.

cool deal.. pics will be great :)

I will wheel more, travel more, smoke less, drink less, live more

76 CJ7, 4link F&R, FOA, Full hydro, 350, 700r4, atlas 4.3, 60 /14, 5:13's, 43 SX on Trailreadys

Rockkrawler.org

Liked 44 Times in 36 Posts
    what kind of camper? how are you going to get the Cherokee and camper to the same place?

pics!!
    https://www.facebook.com/JeffsOffroadEmporium/ check me out on FaceBook!

wheeling rigs: X-Chassis #30, 2008 JKUR, 1991 K5
    tow rigs: 2002 DRW with camper, 2001 3/4 4x4, 2000 3/4 4x2 Dodge Cummins quad cabs

Quote Originally Posted by cj7 View Post
    cool deal.. pics will be great :)

Youve seen my little trucks gone. Bitter sweet day.

Quote Originally Posted by fourwheelerjeff View Post
    what kind of camper? how are you going to get the Cherokee and camper to the same place?

pics!!
    Its a Grand Design 247BH. When I take the Cherokee out I'll have to get a hotel or something. I'll get/build a crawler hauler later. New truck should be in my possession tomorrow.

Liked 44 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent460 View Post
    New truck should be in my possession tomorrow.

and it is well past tomorrow
    https://www.facebook.com/JeffsOffroadEmporium/ check me out on FaceBook!

wheeling rigs: X-Chassis #30, 2008 JKUR, 1991 K5
    tow rigs: 2002 DRW with camper, 2001 3/4 4x4, 2000 3/4 4x2 Dodge Cummins quad cabs

Quote Originally Posted by fourwheelerjeff View Post
    and it is well past tomorrow
    I'm having issues transfering pictures. The new to me truck is an 02 F-350 Crew Cab long bed 2wd. Its got the legendary 7.3 with some goodies. I'll work on trying to post pictures again tomorrow dont k ow why my computer is giving me fits.